The other day my dad made my mom and him turnip home fries to go along with his eggs for Sunday brunch. That sounded so good to me. I didn't have turnips in e house. But I did have sweet potatoes and parsnips and I thought the three of them would be great together. On my way home from work I picked a couple up. Here is what I came up with. I hope you try them and let me know what you think ;)
These have a little kick to them, not hot and spicy, just gota a bite. PS Does anyone else think "Kanye" in their head when thinking "cayenne"? Or is that just me.............?
Prep time: 7 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 medium turnip
1 medium sweet potato
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp dried basil flakes
1/4 tsp dried oregano flakes
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp bacon fat*
1. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
2. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
3. Peel your turnip and parsnips (I washed the sweet potato and kept the skin on, but peel it if your heart desires)
4. Chop your root veggies to be the same size cubes, the sweet potato can be slightly larger (not by a lot!)
5. Toss them all in a large bowl and add your seasonings. Mix until all pieces are coated equally.
6. Pour in olive oil and mix again.
7. Spread everything out on the baking sheet. Drizzle the bacon fat and using a spatula, mix a bit. (*I suppose the bacon fat is optional and that you could use a bit more olive oil if need be, but I think they gives another layer of flavor and helps with the browning).
8. Place in the oven at 450 for 10 minutes.
9. Stir and put them in for anther 10 minutes.
10. Enjoy with some eggs & bacon! Or Paleo pancakes! Or a Subway sandwich! -eww
Oh! And feel free to add some chopped onion to the mix, I'm sure that would be deelish.