Awesome plantain fries (said in a New Yawk accent) These are great because they are SO quick and easy to make and have a soft inside and firm outside... like the perfect fry should! Woohooo!
Serves: 2 (For me, it only served 1. Whoops. wontstopcantstop)
Prep time: 3 minutes
Cook time: 16 minutes
- 1 green plantain
- 1 tbsp lard (liquified)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Peel the plantain. Note: This task is not easy, however I have a method that makes it less hard ; )
-Cut off the ends -Use a pairing knife to slit the 4 spines of the plantain skin from end to end, the length of the plantain -Slide your thumb underneath one panel and run your finger up and down the spine to loosen the skin -Peel off the panel and repeat the previous step with the other panels
3. Cut the plantain in half, and then slice each half length wise; so you have quartered it.
4. Cut each quarter into french fry size strips.
5. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
6. In a bowl, evenly coat the plantains with lard.
7. Use your hands to evenly distribute the salt and garlic powder on the fries.
8. Place them on the baking sheet.
9. Place in the oven for 8 minutes.
10. Rotate the baking sheet and flip over the fries. Put back in the oven for another 8 minutes.
*This would be AWESOME with some homemade mayo or homemade ketchup!