Remember when I went apple picking? Well, I've made a zillion apple things with those zillion apples. YAY! :) I'm not too creative when it comes to baking, so I've called in reinforcements... amazing Paleo Bloggers with more experience and knowledge than me. Google and Facebook are awesome for finding these little gems. Oh yeah, Pinterest is pretty great... and addicting too.
I follow the Paleo Parents on pretty much every freaking social media outlet, but I came across this recipe when they posted it on Facebook, or I was linked to it from another one of their posts... who knows. I can click on one link and then keep going for hours until I've accumulated 30 recipes 'to cook next week'.
Makes: 9 mini loaves (I didn't have mini loaves so I used large muffin tins which filled 11)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30-45 minutes
Cake 1 1/2 C almond flour
2 Tbsp arrowroot powder
2 Tbsp tapioca flour
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 C applesauce
1/3 C honey
1/3 C coconut oil
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 large apple, peeled with core removed
1/2 C almond flour
1/2 C slivered almonds
3 Tbsp palm sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1. Sift together flours and cinnamon
2. Puree together in a food processor or electric mixer applesauce, honey, oil and vanilla until smooth
3. Pulse in dry ingredients until just combined and smooth – apple should have small pieces but not completely pureed
4. Pour into muffin or loaf pans, 2/3 full (a scant 1/3 cup)
5. In separate bowl, us fork to combine topping ingredients
6. Distribute toppings evenly over top of loafs
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until lightly browned
Let cool slightly before serving, to help them stiffen. Store at room temperature for a day or two – or refrigerate up to a week before freezing. *My muffins came out less breadlike than what it should have been and what the Paleo Parents' images look like. They said that it might take longer since it's muffins instead of mini loaves, however, if this recipe make 9 mini loafs and 11 muffins, I would think that the muffins would take a bit LESS time. I baked them for 40 minutes and the instead was still a bit gooey. Great flavors though, and the texture doesn't bother me, but it wasn't bread-like.
Note: I made these before I started my 21DSD! These are not allowed because of the honey in them. But I recommend them if you're not doing the detox!