GUYS! (& girls!) It's SQUASH SEASONNNNN!!!!!!!!!! #eatallthesqaush
Super easy and suuuuper delicious. I made this one night and froze most of it. It makes a LOT of chili, so super easy go-to for those cook-less evenings when you just don't got no time! Pop a frozen jar of chili in the fridge in the morning and by the time you get home dinner is ready to heat up :) Alternatively, pop all this is in the crockpot in the AM while you get ready for work and come home to a hot ready to eat meal AND a yummy smelling house. WIN WIN.
ALSO- this is superrr good cold. Great for the lazy folks (me me!!)
Serves: an army (or 15 people)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 hours (in tha crock pot) only 10 minutes of hands-on time!
4 strips of bacon* (or just use bacon fat)
2 1/3 pounds ground beef
1 medium butternut squash (about 6 Cups)
2 large carrots (about 2 Cups)
26 ounces strained tomatoes
7 ounces canned chipotle peppers, blended (use sauce/oil it comes in)
6 ounces tomato paste
1 cup water (beef stock if you have it, I didn't)
1 yellow onion diced
4 cloves garlic minced
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon sage
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1. Put a large pan on medium heat. Once the pan is hot, place your bacon strips. (*Alternatively, you can use ghee, butter, or lard and skip the bacon steps, but if you cook the bacon to get the pan greased with the fat, then you can eat on the bacon while you make the chili). :D
2. Once your bacon is cooked, take it out of the pan and pat the excess grease off.
3. Eat bacon.
4. In the hot pan with bacon grease, add the onions, garlic, and meat.
5. Brown the meat, about 4-5 minutes.
6. Once the meat is browned, add everything into the crock pot. Do a quick little stir and let that sucker cook for 8 hours on low.