Nacho Average Kale Chips
Yes, I’m super cheesey ( :D ) I’ve been told that I have some of the greatest Dad jokes around town, no need to be jealous. HA.
Anyway, I’ve been curious about the whole cashew-as-cheese replacement thing. I mean, they're cashews, how can it fool your palate into thinking it's cheese?? Well, let your mind be blown.....
1 large head of kale, torn up into bite size pieces
1 cup of soaked cashews, 2 hours minimum
about ⅓ cup water
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- To soak your cashews, make sure to submerge them in water and leave them out on the counter.
- After at least 2 hours of soaking your cashews, dump the water out and rinse the cashews.
- Put your oven on 200 degrees (or the lowest setting, the lowest setting on my oven is 200)
- Add the cashews in your food processor (or magic bullet in my case!- I only use my food processor for big jobs since it's quite large) and cover them with water, I used about ⅓ cup. I’d suggest adding less than you anticipate needing as you can always add more. The consistency you are going for is a thick smoothie, pourable but not soup.
- In a large bowl pour the cashew “smoothie” and mix in the nutritional yeast.
- Line 4 baking sheets with parchment paper (my kale took up 4 baking sheets, but I only have 2, so I had to make 2 batches of chips. If you have 4 sheets and want to make 1 quick batch, then I’d advise rotating the pans halfway through and probably upping the time in the oven, but keep an eye on them!)
- Tear the kale into pieces and rinse.
- Toss a handful of kale at a time into the bowl. Using your spatula, evenly distribute the cream on each kale piece, but don’t drown them! As I evenly coated each piece, I then put them on a baking sheet, filling one pan at a time. Repeat until all kale has been cheesified!
- Pop in the oven for 200 degrees for about 50 minutes, until the kale pieces are crisp but not burnt.
I kept mine stored in a tupperware container on the counter, however the 4 trays only took me 3 days to devour. Next time I’m making half nacho flavored and half salt and garlic in hopes of slowing down my kale chip intake.*
*Ok, I fibbed... I made them again yesterday (not my fault my CSA handed me kale again :D ) and I made them all cheesy. I couldn't bare to make some just salt or salt and garlic... one you go cheesy you never go back! HA!